Safety Tips For Moving
Not only is moving emotionally exhausting, it’s physically exhausting also. You will be enduring
a lot of stress and there are many chances to receive minor and major physical injuries. Even if
you choose to work with a Weehawken moving company, you need to take extra measures to
ensure your home is safe.
● Weight of Boxes
1. Whenever you are packing boxes, make sure you don’t exceed 50 pounds per box. If
you can’t determine a box’s weight, attempt to lift it. You should be able to carry the box
with minimal strain and should be able to stay steady. Keep in mind that these boxes
may need to go up and down stairs or go from your home to the truck and vice versa.
Remember: the right way to lift is to squat down and use your whole lower body.
● Rent out equipment
1. Use proper moving to avoid straining your back and to efficiently move bigger and
heavier objects. Dollys will help you move multiple boxes at once with ease. To help
secure stacked boxes, use moving straps to ensure nothing is damaged and to keep
them from falling.
● Identify problem areas
1. Before moving day arrives, make sure you scout out your home and your new home if
you can to find the best place your Weehawken movers can park their truck. Reserve
the parking spot if you can.
2. Be sure to check for any unevenness in the sidewalk or walkways and see if any steps
are hard to notice. Mark them with chalk if you have to. Most people are preoccupied
and distracted during a move and may not notice small steps.
3. If your home is prone to becoming slippery during rains, it’d be a good idea to buy a
traction map. You can also ask your Weehawken movers if you can rent one out from
them. These mats will make sure your movers don’t walk on areas they shouldn’t and to
make sure they have a firm hold of your things as they carry them.
● Moving day
1. Wear fitted clothes with no loose parts that could get snagged. You’ll need shoes with
good support and grip. Sandals and slippers can lead to injuries as it doesn’t provide
protection from corners or miscellaneous items being stepped on.
2. High traffic foot areas should be clear of obstacles. Make sure that your Weehawken
movers know which of your boxes are fragile.
3. If you are passing boxes to another person, always make sure they have a good grip
before letting the box go. Many accidents occur because people simply forget to ask.
4. For large and heavy items, have a third person to guide the ones carrying the item to
make sure nothing gets damaged and nobody gets hurt.
5. If you have any pets or children, make arrangements ahead of time to keep them away.
Moving day is stressful and dangerous and having them around can cause confusion
and add to the stress.
6. Prepare food and water for everybody and have snacks available. Set aside an area just
for resting as well. In this area, keep an emergency kit for minor injuries.
Call us at now at (201) 552-4596 for a fast & free estimate on your next move!